The least reliable ways to verify your identity are:
- Password. A password alone can be cracked, especially if it’s weak or used for multiple accounts.
- KBA. Someone else might know the answers to your security questions.
- Phone verification. This method is also questionable because it’s not that difficult for hackers to intercept text messages along with security codes.
Therefore, opt for more reliable methods, like email or social ID verification solution. Or take your account security to another level and choose the top methods described below.
Which digital identity verification methods are the most reliable?
The most reliable methods are as follow:
- Biometric authentication. Biometric authentication technology is based on machine learning and comes equipped with a liveness detection feature to prevent criminals from assuming your identity by using your photo instead of your selfie or the recording of your voice instead of a password uttered in real time.
- Authentication apps. An authentication app sends temporary authentication codes available only to you to provide additional security.
- Digital signature. It encrypts the data of your transaction, serving as an extra layer of protection.
- A combination of secure methods. This is the best way to verify your identity. Depending on the number of factors employed, this combination is called either two-factor authentication or multi-factor authentication.
Two-factor authentication (also known as 2FA or two-step verification) is a security feature that adds an extra layer of protection to your resources and data.
You must provide two forms of identification to access your account, such as a password and a security code, or a password plus some form of biometric authentication like a photo of yourself. In case the first identification step is breached, the second will hold the fort.